Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Plein Air Painting Every Thursday



Thames At Windermere,
acrylic on canvas 12" x 10" SOLD

This is the painting I did last night, Thursday June 15, 2006. The location is just about 5 minutes from my home. I arrived at about 6:45 pm and painted until about 8:45 pm. Back at my studio, I changed a couple of colour values, to make the painting read better, and that's it.
I started this painting with an full backgroung under coating of a light pink/ochre mixture ( more pink). Then I started to block in the dark shape with a burnt umber, I drew with the brush, no charcoal layout, I got right to it. I didn't want to run out of daylight, and I am just getting the feel for this outdoor "live" painting, so next time, I'll likely make a charcoal sketch on the canvas, then put in the darks. After the darks and some of the linear outlining, I started adding middle values in local colours. Then it was a free-for-all as I jumped around adding lights, and colour/shape recognition. The fast running water occupied most of my attention, as I wanted it to look convincing.
I had a great time doing this painting, and will be trying to post one every Friday (I hope that's not too ambitious for me)

--Rob


1 comment:

Ed Terpening said...

Nice calm piece, it communicates a mood/feeling, which is so important.